Barber-Scotia College was founded as Scotia Seminary in January, 1867, by Reverend Luke Dorland who was commissioned by the Presbyterian Church (U.S.A.) to establish in the South an institution for the training of Negro women. A survey of situations and of needs resulted in the selection of Concord, North Carolina, as the place for the location of the school. Organization included a program of elementary, secondary, and normal school work. Today, the college has reopened with a small enrollment and is in review for accreditation. Several college buildings are on the National Register of Historic Places, including faith Hall, Graves Hall and Leland S. Cozart House.