Mount Pleasant, North Carolina

By the 1830s, Mount Pleasant had emerged. The North Carolina Synod of the Evangelical Lutheran Church established a male academy there in 1853. When the school was elevated to college status in 1858, the outlook for the area was bright, but the college failed to regain its footing after the Civil War. The town retains several mid-19th-century buildings related to its early educational institutions and a fine collection of 19th and early 20th century residences.

www.townofmountpleasantnc.org