What you need to know
NC Marriage License Requirements
NC GENERAL STATUTE 51.1 REQUISITES OF MARRIAGE; SOLEMNIZATION (A)"The consent of a male and a female person who may lawfully marry, presently to take each other as husband and wife, freely, seriously and plainly expressed by each in the presence of the other, and in the presence of an ordained minister of any religious denomination, minister of officer that such persons are husband and wife, shall be a valid and sufficient marriage; provided, that the rite of marriage among the Society of Friends, according to a form and custom peculiar to themselves, shall not be interfered with by the provisions of this Chapter: provided further, that marriages solemnized and witnessed by a local Assembly of the Baha' is according to the usage of their religious community is valid."
- Both applicants should be present at the time of making application for a marriage license
- Picture ID is required of each, i.e. Drivers License or certified copy of Birth Certificate
- Each is required to present their Social Security card or documentary proof of their Social Security number, i.e. W-2 form, payroll stub, or a statement from the Social Security Office stating their Social Security number.
- The legal age for marriage is 18 years. If either or both of the applicants are under the legal age, the consent of one of the parents must be obtained. In case of divorced parents, the parent who received custody of the minor must give the consent to marry.
- No blood test or physical is required.
- The marriage license is valid for sixty (60) days from the date of issuance
- The office hours for most County Register of Deeds offices are 8:00-5:00 p.m. To insure that issuance is completed by the 5:00 p.m. closing time, applicants should be in the office no later than 4:00 p.m. 704-788-8112 77 Union St. Concord, NC.
- The marriage license fee is $60.00 (cash only)
- There is an additional $10.00 fee to obtain a certified copy of the marriage certificate.
Cabarrus County Clerk
Register Of Deeds
P.O. Box 707
Concord, NC 28026
What are the residency requirements for North Carolina?
None. You do not have to be a previous or current resident of North Carolina to obtain a marriage license that is valid statewide.
Is there a waiting period from the application date to the date the license is issued?
No, you will receive your license immediately.
Is there a waiting period from the date the license is issued to the date I am allowed to marry?
No, you can marry immediately after receiving your license.
What is the minimum age a man or woman may marry?
You must be 18 years old or older to marry without parental consent. A birth certificate may be necessary to show proof of age.
What if one or both of us is younger than 18?
If either partner is under 18, parental consent forms must be signed. You will need a certified copy of your birth certificate. If you are under 16 you cannot marry without a court order.
Blood Tests and Physical Exams
Are blood tests and physical exams required?
No blood test or physical exam is required.
How long does a marriage license remain valid once it's been issued?
Your license will expire 60 days from the date it is issued.
Divorced and Widowed Applicants
What if one or both partners have been divorced or have had a spouse die?
If previously married, the date of divorce or date of spouse's death must be provided. If the divorce or spouse's death had taken place within the last 60 days, bring a certified copy of the divorce decree or death certificate. A copy of your divorce records or spouse's death certificate can be ordered online.
Legal Name Change
What's the process of legally changing my last name after marriage?
Following your wedding ceremony, you will receive a marriage certificate, which is a piece of paper proving that you are legally married. This certificate will serve as evidence of your marriage, which you'll need when you begin the process of notifying several government agencies about your name change, as well as any non-government institutions that you do business with (i.e., banks, employers, credit cards, memberships, etc.).